SQS is used by a developer to reduce the complexity of managing and operating a service. Using this we can store, send, receive and manage messages between two services Instead of sending messages directly we can send through the intermediate queue.
Queues can be used to handle malfunctions in the scalability of services. when a service depends on another service that can not scale to the same level. Having a queue between A and B is useful in such situations because the queue can handle peak demand from A, and send messages at a slower rate with which B can cope. Where A will send a message directly to B this may cause an issue if B System gets failure, corrupt, or lost data during loading data to solve this we are gone using SQS Service where this acts as Intermediator which stores data and sends to B so even B gets failure until that system set up this will be stored in SQS than sent to B.
There are two Queues in SQS Standard and FIFO SQS
Standard vs FIFO SQS
Standard and FIFO SQS
Message Queue Life Cycle
Amazon SQS automatically deletes messages that have been in a queue for more than the maximum message retention period. The default message retention period is 4 days. However, you can set the message retention period to a value from 60 seconds to 1,209,600 seconds (14 days) using the SetQueueAttributes action.
Message Queue Life Cycle
Companies Using SQS
Lots of companies reportedly use Amazon SQS in their tech stacks, including Pinterest, Amazon, BMW, NASA, EMS Driving Fuel IQ, Capital One, Redbus, Lyft, and many more.
I mentioned some companies case study below,
Recently Started Integrating SQS in their companies
By implementing a serverless strategy on AWS, KreditBee has increased its monthly loan disbursement by 25 times over a two-year period.
Expedia Global Payments migrated a legacy system from Microsoft SQL Server to Aurora PostgreSQL, cost-effectively scaling to meet traffic and delivering near-real-time data to its users and internal teams.
On AWS, Thorn built Safer to detect, report, and remove child sexual abuse material from online content-hosting sites and validated its efficacy, flexibility, and scalability with beta customer Flickr, SmugMug’s photo-hosting site.
RepricerExpress reduced costs by $60,000 a year and obtained larger, higher-performing compute resources by migrating a Windows Server and SQL Server environment to AWS from Microsoft Azure.
By leveraging AWS AI and Big Data technologies for its financial services platform, SCB Abacus has been able to make the loan process for customers seamless, update service features quickly, and comply with international standards.
Click here to see more companies success stories by using SQS
Top Companies Using SQS and their success stories
NASA Using SQS
NASA Established in 1958, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has been working around the world — and off of it — for almost 60 years, trying to answer some basic questions: What’s out there in space? How do we get there? What will we find? What can we learn there, or learn just by trying to get there, that will make life better here on Earth?
The NASA Image and Video Library provides easy access to more than 140,000 still images, audio recordings, and videos — documenting NASA’s more than half a century of achievements in exploring the vast unknown. The architecture includes Amazon SQS to decouple incoming jobs from pipeline processes and Amazon Simple Notification Service to trigger the processing pipeline when new content is updated.
NASA Use cases
The NASA Image and Video Library is a cloud-native solution, with the front-end web app separated from the backend API. It runs as immutable infrastructure in a fully automated environment, with all infrastructure defined in code to support continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD).
In building the solution, ManTech International took advantage of the following AWS services:
• Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), which provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. This enables NASA to scale up under load and scale down during periods of inactivity to save money, and pay for only what it uses.
- Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), which is used to distribute incoming traffic across multiple Amazon EC2 instances, as required to achieve redundancy and fault-tolerance.
- • Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), which supports object storage for incoming (uploaded) media, metadata, and published assets.
- • Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS), which is used to decouple incoming jobs from pipeline processes.
- • Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS), which is used for automatic synchronization and failover.
- • Amazon DynamoDB, a fast and flexible NoSQL database service, which is used to track incoming jobs, published assets, and users.
- • Amazon Elastic Transcoder, which is used to transcode audio and video to various resolutions.
- • Amazon CloudSearch, which is used to support searching by free text or fields.
- • Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS), which is used to trigger the processing pipeline when new content is uploaded.
- • AWS CloudFormation, which enables automated creation, updating, and destruction of AWS resources. ManTech International also used the Troposphere library, which enables the creation of objects via AWS CloudFormation using Python instead of hand-coded JSON — each object representing one AWS resource such as an instance, an Elastic IP (EIP) address, or a security group.
- • Amazon CloudWatch, which provides a monitoring service for AWS cloud resources and the applications running on AWS.
NASA AWS Architecture
Environmental Monitoring Solutions (EMS) Using SQS
Environmental Monitoring Solutions (EMS) is based in Victoria, Australia. Launched 25 years ago, the company specializes in solutions that help petrol retailers gather and analyze data on the performance of their petrol stations. Its solutions provide remote monitoring and 24/7 support services — helping customers boost sales, reduce maintenance expense, and decrease the risk of accidents. Today, EMS operates with a team of 30 personnel.